.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The Best Of: Doublecheck the Grass

The following comments are courtesy of Irene Lin.

While I sympathize with anyone who wants to form an alternative party to the Dems, the reality remains, in a winner take all system like ours, that that's a futile attempt and the best thing to do is to shift the Dem Party.

Any person of color who wants to try and work with the GOP, while I understand the impulse, is just foolhardy. Everyday I work in Congress, it's Democrats who are fighting the good fights, in terms of health care access, saving social security, holding the Bushies accountable for Halliburton and Iraq lies, fighting for environmental justice, against media consolidation. Sure, some DLC Blue Dog Dems sell us out time and time again on these issues, but it's Dems and Dems only who even attempt to offer amendments, to block bad legislation, who try to get crucial appropirations back into bills that Bush tries to cut and slaughter (like Section 8 subsidies).

So folks can say the Dems are sell outs, no better than the GOP, blah blah blah, but I think they are being naive about the political process. I may like individual Republicans more than I do certain Dems, but I know at the end of the day, the Dems are the best party and only realistic political force for addressing the ills of our community, so I am doing what I can to help them. If I lived in Europe, I would be a Green for sure, where they are offered some proportional representation. But we don't have those options yet here.

Emancipated by Talib @ 11:05 AM

Obama-Biden Transition

Commentary & Reference

Local Media Outlets

Syndicate this site

Subscribe in NewsGator Online