.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Journalistic Ethics

I wasn't going to post anything tonight, having watched the Louisville Cardinals blow a 25-7 lead, sinking their hopes of playing Michigan (Go Blue!) or Ohio State for the national championship. However, as I was skimming the late news before heading of to bed I came across an apparently innocuous article in the Washington Post about the recall of acetaminophen. This article perked my attention because I had just popped two Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom tablets to fight off this bug that seems to be jumping up on me (the primary ingredient in Tylenol is acetaminophen) so I clicked the link to the article with an accute interest in its contents.

It turns out that much of the store-brand acetaminophen (CVS, Safeway and Food Lion, et al.) is manufactured by a single producer - Perrigo Co. - and Perrigo was recalling their all of their acetaminophen tablets. This recall had absolutely nothing to do with Tylenol, so why is it that I saw this picture accompanying the article:


Only at the bottom of the small print did it read, "The recall does not affect Tylenol." Now I don't think that there is a basis for a lawsuit here, but Johnson & Johnson would be wise to consider it. I am no fan of MNCs - especially drug dealers - but this is just plain wrong. Ed Bradley never would have participated in such "journalism" and we will truly miss that dignified Black man. May he rest in peace.

Emancipated by Athanasius @ 11:40 PM

Obama-Biden Transition

Commentary & Reference

Local Media Outlets

Syndicate this site

Subscribe in NewsGator Online