.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, July 25, 2005

Oops, My Bad

Anyone who has a passing familiarity with the Amadou Diallo case should be gravely concerned about the recent news about British Bobbies busting a Brizillian's cap. Two Five to the dome of an innocent man? Somehow, "Oops, my bad" doesn't quite seem appropriate. There's a reason for due process, and that cannot be replaced with due dilligence - "He seemed guilty enough for us so we took him out" won't cut it. Cops as judge, jury, and executioner is not the way to deal with this problem. This is not some random screw-up, this is the very reason why we have courts in the first place - because sometimes the cops are wrong. Dead wrong.

That will come as little solace to the family of Jean Charles de Menezes - he's dead.

I certainly understand that people are scared - those nasty terrorists and all that - but personally I have much more fear of cops with itchy trigger fingers than of terrorists with murder on their mind. I've never personally encountered a terrorist, but I see cops every day and they already view people who look like me as being suspect. They already seem to have liberal rules of engagement when it comes to shooting niggers Black men so this recent development is incredibly disturbing to me. I see a trend and it does not favor people of color.



How did NWA put it?

Emancipated by Athanasius @ 6:30 AM

Obama-Biden Transition

Commentary & Reference

Local Media Outlets

Syndicate this site

Subscribe in NewsGator Online