.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, December 30, 2005

Nia! (NEE-yah)

Nia -- Purpose. The call for us to build and develop community.

Recently I have resolved to police my own vocabulary on this issue. I get impatient now when I hear another Black person implore "what we ought to do" for the Black community. Please tell us instead what you are doing. In my mind, that's the essence of Nia.

If you can articulate a purpose that you will stand behind, I will follow or collaborate with you if that purpose speaks to my heart and I am able to contribute. When I have a purpose to build and develop our community, I will share what I'd like to see happen and contribute myself towards making the purpose real.

For instance, when it comes to the response to Hurricane Katrina, I try not to talk in the language of "what we ought to do." Instead I try to talk in terms of what I believe I should do. What will you do?

Emancipated by Quintus @ 11:25 PM

Read or Post a Comment

First thing you have to do, is never ask what I can do for the black community? It should be what can I do for the community?

If you act like race matters you are racist. Race doesn't matter.

Posted by Blogger J0kerr @ Friday, December 30, 2005 11:59:00 PM #
 

Right, race doesn't matter in America - and neither does gravity...

Posted by Blogger Athanasius @ Saturday, December 31, 2005 8:26:00 AM #
 

How can you ask someone to do for a community without specifying (or implying) what that community is?

If a person wants Black communities to assimilate and disappear, it's not going to happen by denying use of race as a community category.

In fact, such active denials reinforce the motivations to sustain Black communities.

Posted by Anonymous Quintus @ Saturday, December 31, 2005 2:55:00 PM #
 
<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Obama-Biden Transition

Commentary & Reference

Local Media Outlets

Syndicate this site

Subscribe in NewsGator Online